LAST UPDATED: September 12, 2023
- 1. Scope
- 2. What Information the Sites Collect
- 3. How We Use the Information That We Collect
- 4. Information Disclosures
- 5. Your Choices, Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies and "Do Not Track" Signals
- 6. Access
- 7. California Residents
- 8. European Users and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- 9. Brazilian Users and Lei Geral de Proteção de Dados (LGPD)
- 10. Data Protection Officer
- 11. Age Limitations
- 12. Confidentiality and Security
- 13. Data Storage in Japan and the United States
- 15. Contacting Us
2. What Information the Sites collect
Information You Provide to Us:
You do not need to provide information directly to us in order to view the Sites. However, when you use certain functions on the Sites, such as accessing online events or other features or content, registering for certain services or to purchase tickets, digital items, merchandise or other items, or contacting the Sites directly, you may provide us or we may ask for personally identifiable information or other information, which may include:
- contact information, such as name, email address, postal address and phone number;
- account information such as username and password for your account;
- information posted in the profile message, chat in the AOT Party and other interactive online features;
- information you may decide to provide when you sign up, on your profile or through your account, such as nationality, comments, posts, or content;
- payment-related information (if you make payments on the Sites), such as Stripe customer ID; and
- correspondence you send to us.
Information Automatically Collected When You Visit and Interact With the Sites:
When you use, interact with and visit the Sites, certain information may automatically be collected, including
- information collected through HTML cookies, and similar technologies;
- your computer's Internet Protocol (IP) address, geo location and time zone;
- your browser type and operating system;
- the web pages you were visiting immediately before and after you came to the Sites;
- aggregated data about email click-through rates;
- activities within community discussions; and
- standard server log information.
The above listed technologies and information track your usage of the Sites and help us with respect to certain functionality of the Sites such as recognizing you and remembering your preferences.
Information We Collect from Other Sources:
We may access information about you from third-party sources and platforms (such as Google Analytics Demographics and Interests Reports, social networking sites, databases, online marketing firms, our strategic business partners and ad targeting firms), including:
- unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers, that can identify the physical location of such devices in accordance with applicable law;
- demographic data, such as age range, gender, and interests;
- if you access third-party social networking services (such as Facebook Connect or Twitter) through the Sites, your username and connection lists for those services; and
- contact information such as name, email address, phone number and postal address.
Please note that the Sites may combine information we obtain from third-party sources with the information that we collect. Please also note that, if you make a payment on or through the Sites for digital content or for other transactions, we use third-party service providers to process your payment information.
3. How We Use the Information That We Collect
We may use the information that we collect to send you e-mail communications, such as updates or information about changes to the AOT Party, the Sites or your account, promotional messages about our email newsletters, and our own or our affiliates' or marketing partners' products and services.
We may use the information that we collect to fulfill your requests or purchases for tickets, digital items, merchandise, and other products, services, and information. We may use your contact information to respond to your customer service requests or to enable you to participate in features on the Sites such as online streaming events, surveys and message boards.
In order to learn more about how the Sites are used, we aggregate and analyze the data that we collect. We may use this information, for example, to better tailor our content and design to suit our visitors' needs, to increase our Sites' functionality, and to monitor and analyze use of the Sites. We may also disclose statistical and other aggregated (non-personal) information to third parties for a fee or other consideration.
Support, Personalization and Security:
We may use the information we collect to provide support for and personalize the Sites and our products and services, and to create, maintain and secure your account. We may also use the information we collect to develop and improve and to help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Sites, products and services.
Duration of Storage:
4. Information Disclosures
- We may employ the third parties to perform Sites-related services, including maintenance services, database management, data processing, analytics, marketing, merchandise or other product shipping, and email and text message distribution. Access to your information is granted to these third parties only for the purpose of performing these tasks.
- We may disclose your information to our strategic business partners in connection with offering you co-branded services, selling or distributing our content, offering content or products that you may be interested in on our Sites or on our partners' services, or engaging in other joint marketing activities. We may also disclose aggregated information or certain personal information to such partners or other the third parties to help us develop or provide you services, content, and advertising that may be of interest to you and our users.
- We may disclose statistical and other aggregated (non-personal) information related to end users' interactions with the Sites, such as, for example, statistics indicating what content is popular, to third parties for a fee or other consideration.
- We may disclose information about you to respond to judicial proceedings, court orders, or subpoenas, or search warrants, legal process, or other legal or law enforcement measures, to establish or exercise our rights, to comply with our legal obligations and/or to defend against legal actions or claims.
- If you choose to engage in public activities on the site, such as attending the AOT Party, creating and using a profile, posting comments in the AOT Party or on community message boards or participating in chatrooms, any information you post or submit can be read, collected, or used by others. Please exercise caution when deciding to disclose any personal information in public activities or submissions.
- From time to time, we may deploy technology such as application programming interfaces (or "APIs") for use by third party application developers and make information concerning your public activities on the Sites, such as your comments on community message boards, available to third party websites and applications. If you use such third party websites and applications, they may also collect, process and disclose your information, including personal information. You should review the privacy policies of any third party websites or applications before using them.
- We may disclose information about you for any other purposes disclosed to you at the time we collect your information or pursuant to your consent.
Please note that the third parties may independently collect data about you, through cookies, clicks on links, or other means when you visit or view ads on the Sites.
5. Your Choices, Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies and "Do Not Track" Signals
Deactivating Your Account
You can deactivate your AOT Party account at any time by sending us a request to delete your account through our "contact us" form or other similar contact form. We reserve the right to verify your identity and the validity of the request and may retain a copy of any deactivated accounts or deleted content for compliance purposes.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
"Do Not Track" Signals
If you choose to disclose personal information to us, you may update or amend this information by contacting us at the customer support. Please include in your email the name of the Site(s) to which you provided the information you wish to amend.
7. California Residents
Information We Collect
We collect "personal information" as defined under the CCPA, which is information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer, household, or device. Personal information does not include publicly available information from government records, deidentified or aggregated consumer information or information excluded from the CCPA's scope. In particular, we have collected the following categories of personal information about consumers (i.e., California residents) within the last 12 months:
|Categories:||Examples of Personal Information in the Category:||Collected ("Yes" or "No"):|
|A. Identifiers.||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver's license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.||Yes, we have collected personal information included in this category.|
|B. Personal information categories described in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).||A name, signature, social security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver's license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information.Please note that some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.||Yes, we have collected personal information included in this category.|
|C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.||Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).||Yes, we have collected personal information included in this category.|
|D. Commercial information.||Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.||Yes, we have collected personal information included in this category.|
|E. Biometric information.||Genetic (e.g., DNA), physiological, behavioral, or biological characteristics, imagery of the iris, retina, fingerprint, face, hand, palm, vein patterns, and voice recordings, from which an identifier template, such as a faceprint, a minutiae template, or a voiceprint, can be extracted, and keystroke patterns or rhythms, gait patterns or rhythms, and sleep, health, or exercise data.||No, we have not collected personal information included in this category.|
|F. Internet or other similar network activity.||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.||Yes, we have collected personal information included in this category.|
|G. Geolocation data.||Physical location or movements.||No, we have not collected personal information included in this category. We do collect IP addresses which may provide general geographic location information, but we do not collect specific physical location or movements information.|
|H. Sensory data.||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.||No, we have not collected personal information included in this category.|
|I. Professional or employment related information.||Current or past job history or performance evaluations.||No, we have not collected personal information included in this category.|
|J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)).||Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.||No, we have not collected personal information included in this category.|
|K. Inferences drawn from other personal information.||Profile reflecting a person's preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.||No, we have not collected personal information included in this category.|
We obtain the categories of personal information listed above as described above in Section 2 ("What information the Sites collect"), such as directly from you, automatically and indirectly from you and from third-party sources and platforms.
We will not keep your personal information any longer than reasonably necessary for the purposes we describe above in Section 3 ("How we use the information that we collect"). Our primary criteria for determining the length of time we retain your personal information is the length of time you continue to use the Sites (e.g., for as long as you have an account with us or keep visiting the Sites). More specifically, the table below indicates how long we intend to retain different categories of information:
|Information Category:||Intended Retention Period or Criteria:|
|Products or services purchased.|
Use of Personal Information
We describe how we may use or disclose the personal information we collect above in Section 3 ("How we use the information that we collect"). We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Disclosures of Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter into an agreement with the third party that describes the purpose and requires the third party recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the agreement. We may disclose your personal information to the categories of third parties described above in Section 4 ("Information disclosures").
Disclosures of Personal Information for a Business Purpose:
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
- Category A: Identifiers.
- Category B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
- Category C: Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
- Category D: Commercial information.
- Category E: Internet or other similar network activity.
We disclose your personal information for a business purpose to service providers, business partners and our affiliates.
No Sales or Sharing of Personal Information:
Your Rights Under the CCPA
The CCPA provides California residents with specific rights regarding their personal information, as we describe further below.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights:
As a California resident, you have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see below "Exercising Your CCPA Access, Data Portability, Correction and Deletion Rights"), we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties to whom we disclose that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Correction and Deletion Request Rights:
As a California resident, you have the right to request that we correct inaccurate personal information or delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see below "Exercising Your CCPA Access, Data Portability, Correction and Deletion Rights"), we will correct or delete (and direct our service providers to correct or delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies. We may deny your deletion request if keeping the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall conducted in accordance with federal law, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Your CCPA Access, Data Portability, Correction and Deletion Rights:
To exercise the access, data portability, correction and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by contacting our Customer Support or by regular mail at: MyAnimeList, Attn: Privacy Officer, 1-1-1 Hitotsubashi Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-0003 Japan.
Only you, or someone legally authorized to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child. You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must (a) provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative and (b) describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it. We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of receipt, but if we require more time, we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request's receipt. If we cannot comply with the request, our response will explain the reasons we cannot comply. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to easily transfer the information from one entity to another entity. We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not do any of the following:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
However, we may offer you certain financial incentives permitted by the CCPA that can result in different prices, rates, or quality levels. Any CCPA-permitted financial incentive we offer will reasonably relate to your personal information's value and contain written terms that describe the program's material aspects. Participation in a financial incentive program requires your prior opt in consent, which you may revoke at any time.
Other California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, under California's "Shine the Light" law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) you may request further information about our practices related to disclosing your personal information to certain third parties and/or opt-out of our disclosure of your personal information to unaffiliated third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. Please send your request (with the subject line labeled "Your California Privacy Rights") by contacting our Customer Support.
8. European Users and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
EEA Individuals' Rights
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area ("EEA"), you have certain data privacy and protection rights under the General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR"). We aim to take reasonable steps to allow you to correct, amend, or delete your personal data. You can do this by contacting our Customer Support or by regular mail at: MyAnimeList, Attn: Privacy Officer, 1-1-1 Hitotsubashi Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-0003 Japan, to be informed what personal data we hold about you, and/or if you would like us to correct, amend, or delete your personal data.
Subject to any exemptions provided by law, your rights under the GDPR include the following:
- The right to access, update or delete the information we have about you.
- The right of rectification. You have the right to have your information rectified if that information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to object. You have the right to object to our processing of your personal data. Your right to object includes the right to object at any time to the processing of your personal data for direct marketing purpose.
- The right of restriction. You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information.
- The right to data portability. You have the right to be provided with a copy of the information we have about you in a structured, machine-readable and commonly used format.
- The right to withdraw consent. You also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time where we relied on your consent to process your personal information.
Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests. Please also note that our fulfillment of certain requests, such as requests to delete your information or restrict the processing of your information, may result in your being unable to use the Sites or us being unable to provide you certain products or services.
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the EU Member State of your habitual residence, place of work, or place of the alleged infringement if you think we are processing your personal data not in accordance with the GDPR. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the EEA.
- It enables us to provide you with the Sites.
- To perform a contract with you.
- The processing is in our legitimate interests and it's not overridden by your rights.
- To comply with the law.
Some of the personal information we collect may be processed in the United States, and by using our Sites you acknowledge and consent to the processing of your data in the United States. The United States is not subject to a finding of "adequacy" from the European Commission under Article 41 of the GDPR. Accordingly, we rely on derogations set forth in Article 44 of the GDPR.
MAL's EU Representative
MyAnimeList's GDPR Article 27 Representative, ADVOKAT PRO, located in Oberhonnefeld, Germany, can be contacted by emailing email@example.com.
9. Brazilian Users and Lei Geral de Proteção de Dados (LGPD)
Brazilian Individuals' Rights
If you are a resident of Brazil, you have certain data privacy and protection rights under the General Data Protection Law (Lei Geral de Proteção de Dados) ("LGPD"). Subject to any exemptions provided by law, under the LGPD, you have the right to:
- obtain confirmation of the existence of processing activities on your personal information;
- access your personal information;
- have incomplete, inaccurate or outdated personal information rectified;
- obtain the anonymization, blocking or elimination of your unnecessary or excessive personal information, or of information that is not being processed in compliance with the LGPD;
- obtain information on the possibility to provide or deny your consent to the processing of personal information and the consequences thereof;
- obtain information about the third parties to whom we disclose your personal information;
- obtain, upon your express request, the portability of your personal information (except for anonymized information) to another service or product provider, provided that our commercial and industrial secrets are safeguarded;
- obtain the deletion of your personal information being processed if the processing was based upon your consent, unless one or more exceptions of the LGPD apply;
- revoke your consent to processing your personal information at any time;
- lodge a complaint related to your personal information with the ANPD (the National Data Protection Authority) or with consumer protection bodies;
- oppose a data processing activity in the event the processing is not carried out in compliance with the law;
- request clear and adequate information regarding the criteria and procedures used for an automated decision; and
- request the review of decisions made solely on the basis of the automated processing of your personal information, which affect your interests. These include decisions to define your personal, professional, consumer and credit profile, or aspects of your personality.
10. Data Protection Officer
MAL's Data Protection Officer
MAL has appointed an internal Data Protection Officer ("DPO") for you to contact if you have any questions or concerns about MAL's personal information policies or practices. The name and contact information for MAL's DPO are as follows:
1-1-1 Hitotsubashi Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo 100-0003 Japan.
11. Age Limitations
12. Confidentiality and Security
We limit access to contact information about you to employees or service providers who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs. We also have adopted commercially reasonable technical, physical, and administrative procedures to help protect information about you from loss, unauthorized access, misuse, and alteration. In addition, we will take reasonable steps to assure that third parties to whom we transfer any personal information will provide sufficient protection of your personal information. We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, your login password, or any national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited communication.
Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We want you to feel confident using the Sites, but we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us. If you have any concerns with the way we collect and handle your personal information, or would like to correct or request that we delete such personal information held by us, please contact us. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request; please note, though, that at a minimum we may retain certain information if required by law. You understand that deletion of your personal information may result in you not being able to view or use portions of our Sites which depend on such information.
13. Data Storage in Japan and the United States
Our offices are located in Japan. We store and process data for the Sites in Japan and may also store and process certain data in the United States. If you visit the Sites from another country, please be aware that information you provide to us or that we obtain as a result of your use of the Sites may be processed in and transferred to Japan and the United States and will be subject to Japan and U.S. law. By using the Sites or providing us with your information, you consent to the collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to and in Japan and the United States.
15. Contacting Us